Why does the media consistently pair up Asian females with white males?
p***@yahoo.com
2006-11-26 17:11:46 UTC
I don't understand this trend particularly when the majority of
Asian American couples in this country are Asian male and Asian female
pairings. I don't see the media doing this with any other group of
people. Shouldn't Asian Americans who have influence in the media raise
a concern about this? I just don't see this as right when the media
doesn't do this to any other ethnic group or race. Why do they think
that Asian Americans would tolerate these kinds of portrayals to the
extent that they make up a majority of pairings in the media without a
sense of insensitivity and indignation towards Asian Americans as a
whole? I don't have a problem with interracial relationships but when
the media continually prefer to portray Af/Wm pairing as some sort of
normality over Am/Af pairing, Asian Americans should feel a certain
amount of indignation from these kinds of depictions. Also, why is it
that the media rarely if ever at all depict Am/wf pairings particularly
when a portion of Asian interracial relationships are between Asian
males and white females? Isn't there a racist double standard here?
Shouldn't Asian Americans as a whole make a concerted effort to correct
negative portrayals and stereotypical portrayals of their image if for
nothing more than to assert the dignity of Asian people?
igotskillz
p***@yahoo.com
2006-11-27 01:40:41 UTC
Statistics says Am/Wf relationships are 1:3 or 1:4 of Af/Wm
relationships. From these statistics Am/Wf portrayals in the media
should at least be 1:3 or 1:4 of every Af/Wm portrayal. Also, the
majority of Asian relationships in this country are between Asian males
and Asian females. The potrayals of any pairing in the media should be
majority Am/Af pairings like the pairings of any other racial or ethnic
group in this country. I don't know why the media predominantly
continues to depict Af with Wms when these relationships make up a
minor number of total number of Asian relationships in this country.
jimmydeanbakker
2006-11-27 04:51:49 UTC
I guess it was a few months ago that I accidentally stumbled on an Asian
website that discussed interracial pairings in movies, and how the Asian
male ended up on the short end of the stick. I thought back to all the
Asian movies or movies with Asians in them that I've seen over my lifetime,
and I can only recall one movie where the Asian male ended up with the white
female, and that was a real life movie based on Bruce Lee's life.

I don't think television is true to life because I've seen plenty of
Asian males with white females through my travels in life. The other day I
walked into a Vietnamese Sandwich Shop, and two of the patrons, a white
female and Asian male, were married. The only reason I know that they were
married is because I'm brave enough to strike up a conversation with total
strangers.

One of the reasons that Asian males have a hard time dating is because
they spend the majority of their life learning Science, Math, and all the
things needed to have a successful life. There isn't anything wrong with
that, but that just doesn't get the girls. It should get the girls, but it
doesn't. The guy playing Mozart on the piano might have a hard time
relating to the ladies because it's going to take quite awhile and a whole
lot of training to accomplish playing Mozart. While the Asian guy plays
Mozart, the white guy, Hispanic guy, and Black guy are learning social
skills that get them the ladies.
Eugene Wong
2006-11-28 06:02:59 UTC
What was the site?
p***@yahoo.com
2006-11-28 00:40:04 UTC
Post by jimmydeanbakker
I guess it was a few months ago that I accidentally stumbled on an Asian
website that discussed interracial pairings in movies, and how the Asian
male ended up on the short end of the stick. I thought back to all the
Asian movies or movies with Asians in them that I've seen over my lifetime,
and I can only recall one movie where the Asian male ended up with the white
female, and that was a real life movie based on Bruce Lee's life
I've seen more. Then again, I'm Asian and I'm more prone to notice
stuff like this. Sadly to say, I think the media was more tolerant to
Asian portrayals 10-15 years before this trend of tribalism became the
norm.
Post by jimmydeanbakker
I don't think television is true to life because I've seen plenty of
Asian males with white females through my travels in life. The other day I
walked into a Vietnamese Sandwich Shop, and two of the patrons, a white
female and Asian male, were married. The only reason I know that they were
married is because I'm brave enough to strike up a conversation with total
strangers.
You're going abit off topic here aren't ya? This coming from a black
guy named Jimmy Dean Bakkker (James Dean Bakkker)? Do you stereotype
much James Dean? Seriously, I don't think the original message had
anything to do with dating or the social scene. Regardless, last I
counted, there seems to be a gazillion Asian people in the world and
they didn't all pop up from nowhere.
What the hell does this rant on your stereotypes of Asian guys
have anything to do with my original assertion of why the media is so
unfair when pairing up Asian women with White males when the statistics
in reality says that these relations make up a minor total of all Asian
relationships? Call me crazy but I don't think you're a black guy
Jimbo.
By the way, I'm an Asian person who actually wished I was good at
doing math. I think if this was the case I'd be a doctor at this point
in my life instead of paying off for law school that I technically
flunked out of. That's life I guess.
BTW, do you usually throw out a bone for yourself when you give
out semipositive statements about other groups of people? This last
paragraph is quiet a personal quid for the paragraph preceeding it. I
guess some guys really can't give out positive compliments without back
handed comments. Whatever man.........................
Sperry
2006-12-01 06:36:14 UTC
Post by igotskillz
Look around, if you are in the USA.
There are almost not White women paired with Asian men.
You must be blind, there's plenty of white women/asian men pairing. Just off
the bat, i personally know more am/wf couples than af/wm couples. There's
definitely more of the latter pairings but i assume that has alot to do with
negative media stereotype of the AM's and the proliferation of the so called
mail-order brides.

Sperry
beernuts
2006-12-01 08:12:27 UTC
Post by Sperry
Post by igotskillz
Look around, if you are in the USA.
There are almost not White women paired with Asian men.
You must be blind, there's plenty of white women/asian men pairing. Just off
the bat, i personally know more am/wf couples than af/wm couples. There's
definitely more of the latter pairings but i assume that has alot to do with
negative media stereotype of the AM's and the proliferation of the so called
mail-order brides.
I disagree. Assuming that the so-called mail-order bride phenomenon
usually involves a much older wm with a younger af, I practically never
seen that combo out and about. In fact, I've only seen it a couple
times ever. By far, the majority interracial pairings one sees in the
U.S. are teens, 20 and 30 something wm-af couples, and everyone I know,
white or asian, seems to agree on at least that much. am-wf couples
are, generally speaking, much less common, even rare (depending on the
area), however I have noticed a modest increase in the last few years.
And ironically enough, I don't see or hear a lot of WM's reacting
angrily, dissing their Caucasian "sisters" as being sluts and the like,
etc. Maybe that comes later, if the am<->wm/af dynamic is any
indication.

The media stereotypes argument may be true in some cases, but I have
yet to see even one valid scientific study linking the majority of
wm-af relationships to negative media stereotypes of AMs. Worse
though, is the tendency (rampant in this newsgroup for over a decade)
to generalize all wm-af relationships as resulting from things like
media representation of am and/or "mail-order brides", which is
ridiculous, shallow, mean, racist, as well counterproductive for anyone
trying to put forth a serious discussion on the wm-af phenomenon. But
it does show how hurt many AM are over the issue, and that is another
story.
Sperry
p***@yahoo.com
2006-12-06 01:11:51 UTC
Post by beernuts
Post by Sperry
Post by igotskillz
[...]
You haven't been an Asian guy in this situation. Believe me, this
happens. Silence speaks volume too sometimes. The better looking the
girl, the worst treatment you're going to get. It runs the gamut from
tossing out a negative comment here and there to just utter avoidance
of you.
Post by beernuts
The media stereotypes argument may be true in some cases, but I have
yet to see even one valid scientific study linking the majority of
wm-af relationships to negative media stereotypes of AMs. Worse
though, is the tendency (rampant in this newsgroup for over a decade)
to generalize all wm-af relationships as resulting from things like
media representation of am and/or "mail-order brides", which is
ridiculous, shallow, mean, racist, as well counterproductive for anyone
trying to put forth a serious discussion on the wm-af phenomenon. But
it does show how hurt many AM are over the issue, and that is another
story.
My original post had nothing to do with interracial relationships in
the social realm. It was originally on unfair portrayals of Asian
relationship in the media as a whole. For some reason somebody always
seems to want to correlate my posts about how Asian Americans are
portrayed negatively to a topic that has nothing to do with my original
post. But, since we're on this topic, I'll bite.

There have been study after study after endless studies correlating the
influence of the media on the general population. Here are some links:

http://www.troubledwith.com/stellent/groups/public//@fotf_troubledwith/documents/articles/twi_013924.cfm?channel=Parenting%20Teens&topic=Media%20Influence&sssct=Background%20Info

http://www.troubledwith.com/stellent/groups/public//@fotf_troubledwith/documents/articles/twi_057605.cfm?channel=Parenting%20Teens&topic=Media%20Influence&sssct=Background%20Info

http://www.troubledwith.com/stellent/groups/public//@fotf_troubledwith/documents/articles/twi_013855.cfm?channel=Parenting%20Teens&topic=Media%20Influence&sssct=Background%20Info

http://www.troubledwith.com/stellent/groups/public//@fotf_troubledwith/documents/articles/twi_010058.cfm?channel=Parenting%20Teens&topic=Media%20Influence&sssct=Background%20Info

http://www.troubledwith.com/stellent/groups/public//@fotf_troubledwith/documents/articles/twi_010058.cfm?channel=Parenting%20Teens&topic=Media%20Influence&sssct=Background%20Info

Here's the correlation of media and socialization patterns. Notice how
social trends are influenced as the one way information of the old
media gives way to the free dispersal of information that is the
internet.

http://www.proudasianamerican.com/Articles/2004%20ACS.htm
Post by beernuts
Sperry
beernuts
2006-12-06 03:00:32 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.com
My original post had nothing to do with interracial relationships in
the social realm. It was originally on unfair portrayals of Asian
relationship in the media as a whole. For some reason somebody always
seems to want to correlate my posts about how Asian Americans are
portrayed negatively to a topic that has nothing to do with my original
post. But, since we're on this topic, I'll bite.
I was not responding to your post - I've read the same thing or
derivation thereof ad nauseam here for years and years. I've heard the
issues, and I think there is some merit to argument. Where I disagree
is the reasons for it (e.g. anti AM "conspiracy" vs brutal market
forces biased towards majority acceptance and demands).

I think for every white woman you'll find who will take the time to
complain about the lack of an ASIAN MALE in media, you'll find 10 more
white men asking for more ASIAN FEMALES, and not giving a rat's tail
about AM (why would they? It's just more competition). It's really
just that simple. In other words, according to a recent medical study
on men, men think about sex once every 57 seconds.
Post by p***@yahoo.com
There have been study after study after endless studies correlating the
Here's the correlation of media and socialization patterns. Notice how
social trends are influenced as the one way information of the old
media gives way to the free dispersal of information that is the
internet.
http://www.proudasianamerican.com/Articles/2004%20ACS.htm
Well, this was my point in another thread - old media, the bane of the
AM, is dying, and the new media is poised to give AM a fairer shake.
Anyway, despite the correlation between media and socialization
patterns, I still have not seen one single study showing the majority,
or anything close to it, of WM-AF interracial relationships are due to
it. To pigeon hole WM-AF into the byproduct of media driven
"Socialization patterns" is ridiculous.

Peace out.
p***@yahoo.com
2006-12-06 03:18:17 UTC
Post by beernuts
Post by p***@yahoo.com
[...]
Isn't kind of funny how the media doesn't do this to any other race
or people of any other ethnic background except for Asians? This isn't
just market dynamics at work here. There is a racial element involved.
Post by beernuts
Post by p***@yahoo.com
There have been study after study after endless studies correlating the
Here's the correlation of media and socialization patterns. Notice how
social trends are influenced as the one way information of the old
media gives way to the free dispersal of information that is the
internet.
http://www.proudasianamerican.com/Articles/2004%20ACS.htm
Well, this was my point in another thread - old media, the bane of the
AM, is dying, and the new media is poised to give AM a fairer shake.
Anyway, despite the correlation between media and socialization
patterns, I still have not seen one single study showing the majority,
or anything close to it, of WM-AF interracial relationships are due to
it. To pigeon hole WM-AF into the byproduct of media driven
"Socialization patterns" is ridiculous.
It's just a matter of PRIDE, DIGNITY and RESPECT to a lot of us Asian
American guys. The negative stereotypical way in which Asians and in
particular Asian males are still being portrayed in the media is just
plain racist and flat out WRONG!!!!

BTW, the facts speak for themselves regarding the last link.
Peace out.
Sperry
2006-12-09 05:54:38 UTC
Good hearing from ya, Chris. While we don't always agree, it's still
refreshing to get a well thought out opinion.

Sperry
Post by beernuts
Post by Sperry
Post by igotskillz
Look around, if you are in the USA.
There are almost not White women paired with Asian men.r
Sperry
beernuts
2006-12-09 16:09:05 UTC
Post by Sperry
Good hearing from ya, Chris. While we don't always agree, it's still
refreshing to get a well thought out opinion.
Sperry
Hi Sper, same here. Note, my points weren't addressed to you earlier,
but just general comments. I can't stand seeing lot of the honest,
beautiful interracial relationships get stereotyped as something
negative, when chances are, they're just normal relationships between
two people who loved one another. Mixed race couples are the very
thing that reminds us that love between two people can transgress race
and cultural differences. While the original poster didn't do that,
your response reminded me of the overall issue.
drydem
2006-12-03 17:20:22 UTC
Post by Sperry
Post by igotskillz
Look around, if you are in the USA.
There are almost not White women paired with Asian men.
You must be blind, there's plenty of white women/asian men pairing. Just off
the bat, i personally know more am/wf couples than af/wm couples. There's
definitely more of the latter pairings but i assume that has alot to do with
negative media stereotype of the AM's and the proliferation of the so called
mail-order brides.
Sperry
Sperry, wrt to recent am/wf TV/media pairing....
In NBC's hit/popular TV series Heroes, the Time/Space Hero-Mutant Hiro
Nakamura (Masayori_Oka) is briefly paired up with the Super
Memory/Smart Hero-Mutant Charlie (Jayma Mays). [1]

However, Super Villian-Mutant Sylar kills Charlie off Sylar has the
ability to absorb the mutant powers of the mutant heroes he kills ( by
slicing a mutant's skull/head open).

[1 ]http://heroeswiki.com/Hiro
Sperry
2006-12-09 06:00:54 UTC
Post by drydem
Post by Sperry
Post by igotskillz
Look around, if you are in the USA.
There are almost not White women paired with Asian men.
You must be blind, there's plenty of white women/asian men pairing. Just off
the bat, i personally know more am/wf couples than af/wm couples. There's
definitely more of the latter pairings but i assume that has alot to do with
negative media stereotype of the AM's and the proliferation of the so called
mail-order brides.
Sperry
Sperry, wrt to recent am/wf TV/media pairing....
In NBC's hit/popular TV series Heroes, the Time/Space Hero-Mutant Hiro
Nakamura (Masayori_Oka) is briefly paired up with the Super
Memory/Smart Hero-Mutant Charlie (Jayma Mays). [1]
However, Super Villian-Mutant Sylar kills Charlie off Sylar has the
ability to absorb the mutant powers of the mutant heroes he kills ( by
slicing a mutant's skull/head ope
I've seen trailers for this new show and was suprised to see an Asian dude
as one of the cast members. Obviously, he looks like your usual
run-of-the-mill, nerdy, asian dude but it's still a kick to see an Asian
male on pop tv.

Nice to see you're still here, walt.

Sperry
[1 ]http://heroeswiki.com/Hiro
drydem
2006-12-09 18:45:30 UTC
Post by Sperry
Post by drydem
Post by Sperry
Post by igotskillz
[...]
Most of the characters are rather dark in nature except for Claire,
Micah and Hiro. IMHO "Heroes" is rather dark, confusing and scary in
an X-File/Friday the 13th sort of way .

Hiro's character has a certain charm - I hope the "Hero's" TV series
keeps him.
Post by Sperry
Nice to see you're still here, walt.
Sperry
Ditto :-)
Post by Sperry
[1 ]http://heroeswiki.com/Hiro
UC
2006-11-27 15:58:21 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.com
[...]
A friend sent this to me, so I posted it here:

I've had it. When I go out shopping, I sometimes run across young Asian
women (first-generation born here, I can tell because they often shop
with their mothers) who have no clue on how to dress. It appears that
the goal is to spend as much of daddy's money as possible while making
the whole ensemble as hideous and unflattering as possible. Stiletto
high heels with too-tight blue jeans and a low-cut red blouse that is
two sizes too small. Cowboy boots with miniskirts. Flaming red or green
hair that looks like something from London punk scene circa 1979. Too
much eye makeup. Too much ugly jewelry.

YUCCCCKKK!

The owner of the business for which I work was born in Taiwan. He has
two daughters that fit right into this mold. Can't somebody do
something? American girls in the same age bracket show a lot more
fashion sense.

Around here it's the Chinese and Koreans who dress up when they go out.
It's the Chinese and Koreans who have their kids take piano and singing
lessons. It's the Chinese and Koreans who take ballroom dancing
classes. It's the Chinese and Koreans who wear evening gowns to go to a
Chinese restaurant (are you kidding me?). Often the styles are not
flattering, as they are designed for European bodies. It's like they
came to America, made some money, and now want to 'buy' into Western
culture as fast as possible; but they are trying too hard.

RELAX!
Of course, they always look ridiculous. The "Western culture" they are
trying to adapt to no longer exists! Those ballroom dances are attended
only by Koreans and Chinese! Americans couldn't care less about that
crap today.

Now the men look just as ridiculous, but in a different way. They wear
cheap polyester blend business suits when smart-dressing Americans
would wear a stylish sports coat and slacks (made of natural fibers),
and when they're not wearing a suit, they sport old-fashioned leisure
wear that nobody wears anymore. It's like they bought their clothes on
a trip in a time machine set for 1972! Where do they even find this
crap? They look so stupid! And where do the men get their hair cut? At
the Three Stooges barber shop?

When I get dressed up to go out, it's not in a business suit. That's
stupid. Business suits are daytime wear, for business. That's why
they're called "business suits". And if it's not tailored, forget it!
It looks even worse! NEVER, EVER wear a business suit in the evening.
NEVER, EVER wear a cheap suit! NEVER, EVER wear a suit that isn't
tailored!

When I get dressed up, I wear Joseph Abboud and Mondo di Marco slacks
and shirts, and sweaters, and Italian shoes. All natural fabrics.

WHY DOESN'T SOMEBODY TELL THEM HOW RIDICULOUS THEY LOOK?

The Asian understanding of American culture is shallow and insincere.
It's utterly absurd and frankly disturbing. If you want to come here,
fine. If you want to become Americans, fine. But don't insult us by
dressing like caricatures of Americans and participating in activities
we don't care about anymore. America today is about making money and
enjoying life and our freedoms. We care little about "high culture" in
the old-fashioned sense of the term, and when we do we take it with a
relaxed attitude. Sure, I enjoy classical music, but I don't go around
blabbing about it in public with 30 or 40 friends and cousins. That's
another trouble with these Asians: they do everything in groups. They
all look the same and dress the same ridiculous way. I don't think they
really care at all about 'Western culture"; it's just a commodity to
buy or something to wear like anything else.
drydem
2006-12-03 23:49:07 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.com
[...]
[snip racist rants]
The Asian understanding of American culture is shallow and insincere....
A recent report in the Washington Post[1] regarding
Korean americans youths suggest that a signficant
number of young korean americans are melding
American culture with korean culture. The story
cite the need of these young Korean American
to steer away from mainstream American
culture's focus on physical sex. They also desire
to produce/create music that is inclusive of the
Korean American community as oppose to being
just a consumer of music. These Korean American
youths appear to be confident, strong, and smart
enough to take charge of their cultural/societal
environment by only selectively adapting and integrating
aspects of the available cultures so that the end result
is not so much an American but international culture.

[1]
Korean-American teens embrace a pop music hybrid
Cecilia Kang, The Washington Post, Nov. 27, 2006 12:00 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/ent/pop/articles/1127kpop1127.html
George
2006-12-04 00:38:14 UTC
Post by drydem
Post by p***@yahoo.com
[...]
Nothing wrong with that, IMHO. By the way, my 12 year old
White/Hispanic/Native American grandchild is taking TaeKwon Do. Should I
take him out so he doesn't get adversely influenced by "foreign" ideas? I
don't think so.

George
RichAsianKid
2006-12-04 02:59:13 UTC
Well, in Korea, they are emulating those gay American teeny-bopper boy
bands!!
See example

On the other hand, in mandopop, one of the most famous singers raps
about his grandma. Now you'll rarely see something like that in North
America!

Though he is the exception. As side social commentary,
http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/061203221638.osls8wr4.html
China's elderly deserted by own families
Dec 03 5:16 PM US/Eastern

The new generation of nationalistic Chinese in mainland China must feel
something like:
"Oh, and incidentally the current generation of mainland Chinese
thinking is similar to that of rst0wxyz's: no more communism, damn the
poor, screw the weak, money is king, and ditch confucianism.

Meaning: "Old generation mainland Chinese! You've so recklessly
irrresponsibly
tarnished our national honor, squandered away our assets, leaving such
a social mess to us young Chinese, screwing up such big time for half a
century, and have now bequeathed nothing but poverty and misery and
shame to all us. Why should we say thank you? Why should we repay you
and take care of you when you get old and sick? No way!! You old
Chinese
farts only deserve our wrath and the curses of all those who come
after!!"

Hmmmm......
George
2006-12-04 04:44:56 UTC
Post by RichAsianKid
Well, in Korea, they are emulating those gay American teeny-bopper boy
bands!!
See example
http://youtu.be/vs-y35QvPNw
Yeah. Freedom. It's a bitch, ain't it?

George
RichAsianKid
2006-12-04 07:17:49 UTC
Post by George
Post by RichAsianKid
Well, in Korea, they are emulating those gay American teeny-bopper boy
bands!!
See example
http://youtu.be/vs-y35QvPNw
Yeah. Freedom. It's a bitch, ain't it?
George
Actually RAK doesn't really care. It again shows that audiences are
different and why some groups may prefer to have their own music,
reflection of their own values etc.

Having said that, I doubt if even in free America can boybands (in this
case, the same boyband) get away with this!

(1)

(2)

George
2006-12-04 16:09:57 UTC
Post by RichAsianKid
Post by George
Post by RichAsianKid
Well, in Korea, they are emulating those gay American teeny-bopper boy
bands!!
See example
http://youtu.be/vs-y35QvPNw
Yeah. Freedom. It's a bitch, ain't it?
George
Actually RAK doesn't really care. It again shows that audiences are
different and why some groups may prefer to have their own music,
reflection of their own values etc.
Having said that, I doubt if even in free America can boybands (in this
case, the same boyband) get away with this!
(1)
http://youtu.be/7F0OMgwN1Uk
(2)
http://youtu.be/Ki3FIgUHbCg
If you think that is shocking, you'd be surprised what people do here.

George
Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
George
George
2006-12-04 20:20:38 UTC
Post by Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
go on, surprise me.
Use your imagination.

Post by George
George
Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
George
George
2006-12-05 07:27:05 UTC
Post by Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
i don't have any. i am only a lowly polish immigrant. we have no
sophistication in sex in poland, so tell me. don't leave out any
details.
I'm sure you can find all the details right here:

http://www.google.com/

George
chuandetu@hotmail.com
2006-12-05 09:22:44 UTC
Anything having to do with homosexuals should be banned - specially
bands. They give young people the wrong image of model roles to follow.
They should be rounded up and exterminated. RAK is a homo, so he loves
inciting people with bad tastes and immorality. All he does is offer
his ass to paying clients. You condone homo prostitutes like this Paki
RAK? I don't. I say they should be shot.
George
George
2006-12-05 10:41:01 UTC
Post by ***@hotmail.com
Anything having to do with homosexuals should be banned - specially
bands. They give young people the wrong image of model roles to follow.
They should be rounded up and exterminated. RAK is a homo, so he loves
inciting people with bad tastes and immorality. All he does is offer
his ass to paying clients. You condone homo prostitutes like this Paki
RAK? I don't. I say they should be shot.
In the Flesh
by Pink Floyd

So ya
Thought ya
Might like to
go to the show
To feel the warm thrill of confusion
That space cadet glow
I've got some bad news for you sunshine
Pink isn't well he stayed back at the hotel
And they sent us along as a surrogate band
And we're going to find out where you fans
Really stand
Are there any queers in the theatre tonight
Get 'em up against the wall
That one looks Jewish
And that one's a coon
Who let all this riff raff into the room
There's one smoking a joint and
Another with spots
If I had my way I'd have all of you shot

You're a bigot, dude.

George
Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
2006-12-05 09:25:31 UTC
hey, georgie boy! that is my line. whenever i cannot answer a question,
i always tell them to look it up in google.
so, you can't tell me either hey?
George
George
2006-12-05 10:42:26 UTC
Post by Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
hey, georgie boy! that is my line. whenever i cannot answer a question,
i always tell them to look it up in google.
so, you can't tell me either hey?
It's not a matter of can't, Der Humperdink.

George
Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
George
George
2006-12-05 19:49:27 UTC
Post by Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
with you, it's a matter of lying.
Umm, if I have lied, please point our where, dear.

George

P.S. Top-posting is considered rude on usenet. Just so you know.
Travis Bickle
2006-12-04 19:15:17 UTC
Post by RichAsianKid
Actually RAK doesn't really care. It again shows that audiences are
different and why some groups may prefer to have their own music,
reflection of their own values etc.
Having said that, I doubt if even in free America can boybands (in this
case, the same boyband) get away with this!
(1)
http://youtu.be/7F0OMgwN1Uk
(2)
http://youtu.be/Ki3FIgUHbCg
K-Pop's no worse than lot of the crap that's floating around the world
pretending to be music. However, I'm kind of glad that Asian kids are
looking toward their own ethnic group to be entertained since they
could identify with their own group rather than looking towards lot of
mainstream acts.

I think it ultimately speaks badly of state of American pop music since
American pop music has been dominating the globe with acts like Elvis,
Michael Jackson, and Madonna. I think it's safe to say that American
Pop is probably at its lowest point, and it's funny that K-pop could
even come close to compete with it (and actually appeals to Korean kids
who were born here).
chuandetu@hotmail.com
who were born here).
Travis Bickle
2006-12-04 23:22:52 UTC
Post by ***@hotmail.com
Anything having to do with homosexuals should be banned - specially
bands. They give young people the wrong image of model roles to follow.
They should be rounded up and exterminated. RAK is a homo, so he loves
inciting people with bad tastes and immorality. All he does is offer
his ass to paying clients.
Hey, Elton John's a homo, but he makes great music. I'm on the fence
with RAK, but he does talk lot about clothes, food, and travel which
are very gay subjects.
RichAsianKid
2006-12-04 21:22:40 UTC
Post by Travis Bickle
Post by RichAsianKid
[...]
Oh! Elvis! Madonna!!?? That's now the source of jeer?!

"Bruce Springsteen, Madonna
Way before nirvana There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that she's uncool
'Cause she's still preoccupied
With 19, 19, 1985"

Overall, rough trend for 'youth beat' - hiphop/rap appeals to black
kids and decadent rich kids, middle class whites typically go for
alternative, fresh off the boat go for the pop charts, east asians tend
to gravitate towards hip hop or dance. Punk rock appeals to a pretty
varied audience, classics appeal to nerdy bookish FOB Asians, heavy
metal is predominant blue-collar white, western is almost universally
dissed. I'm just saying that's RAK's 'impression' - many exceptions of
course, and people just don't just go for one type of music.

Eminem was pretty popular in Hong Kong a few years back, specifically
the autobiographical 8 mile a while back. Do a search on youtube Eminem
and "Shake That" and immediately you're forced to log in. And it's
anime for a reason. The real thing would be X-rated and can't be sold.

As for k-pop, it probably is more dynamic than mandopop, though RAK
does not know enough to comment. But the hip-hop trend which seems to
be espoused by Asians is unmistakable. Here's an example - mandopop
mixed in with hip hop, Jay Chou, with blonde in front of the bakery,
but the title of the song I discovered was "Chinese Herbs" or something
-- which is bizarre.

Knowing how STUPID rap always sounds in a foreign language this one
probably pulled it off.

East Asians - when they adopt an alternative style tend to be more
convincing. The style is just consistent with the history of a softer
more feminine approach with more stress on melody and less on rhythm
and beat.

More examples: the most popular J-pops tend to have a very tame quality
by North American standards

The following: English lyrics provided, quite tame actually

Or this one:

Hey, it can be worse. Check out Finnish pop!!!!
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1682242
Travis Bickle
2006-12-04 23:10:28 UTC
Post by RichAsianKid
Oh! Elvis! Madonna!!?? That's now the source of jeer?!
"Bruce Springsteen, Madonna
Way before nirvana There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that she's uncool
'Cause she's still preoccupied
With 19, 19, 1985"
Isn't this the lyrics from that aweful song they play on "alternative"
stations? I listen to satellite radio so I wouldn't know what's popular
these days, but I have a feeling that it's 99% crap.

I think it's beyond subjectivity when it comes to what's good, and I
have a feeling the guy who wrote the above lyrics won't be around in
next financial quarter.

I feel bad for kids these days growing up with crappy music, going from
band to band, trying to search for the right sound...

If you don't like these bands, you don't deserve to live:

1. The Beatles
2. Pink Floyd
3. The Who
4. The Smiths
5. Led Zeppelin
6. Sly and The Family Stone
7. The Ramones
8. The Clash
9. The Stones (pre 1983)
10. Velvet Underground
RichAsianKid
2006-12-05 04:33:27 UTC
Post by Travis Bickle
Post by RichAsianKid
Oh! Elvis! Madonna!!?? That's now the source of jeer?!
"Bruce Springsteen, Madonna
Way before nirvana There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that she's uncool
'Cause she's still preoccupied
With 19, 19, 1985"
Isn't this the lyrics from that aweful song they play on "alternative"
stations? I listen to satellite radio so I wouldn't know what's popular
these days, but I have a feeling that it's 99% crap.
I think it's beyond subjectivity when it comes to what's good, and I
have a feeling the guy who wrote the above lyrics won't be around in
next financial quarter.
I feel bad for kids these days growing up with crappy music, going from
band to band, trying to search for the right sound...
It's so cliched and popular but song's catchy nuff for karoke when
you're smashed. And Travis is the prime demographic described!!

Presenting.....

Post by Travis Bickle
1. The Beatles
2. Pink Floyd
3. The Who
4. The Smiths
5. Led Zeppelin
6. Sly and The Family Stone
7. The Ramones
8. The Clash
9. The Stones (pre 1983)
10. Velvet Underground
Can't say if I like or dislike any of those, never heard of them. ;)
Travis Bickle
2006-12-05 18:12:23 UTC
Post by RichAsianKid
Post by Travis Bickle
1. The Beatles
2. Pink Floyd
3. The Who
4. The Smiths
5. Led Zeppelin
6. Sly and The Family Stone
7. The Ramones
8. The Clash
9. The Stones (pre 1983)
10. Velvet Underground
Can't say if I like or dislike any of those, never heard of them. ;)
You've never heard of the Beatles or the Rolling Stones? Are you from
the planet earth? I know being a dork isn't a crime, but I think this
comes pretty close...
enterprise
2006-12-05 08:44:26 UTC
RAK is a mere self-proclaimed "honorary Jap", and in reality an ugly
Pakistani bastard adopted by a poor Chinese couple, and is nothing
other than a pimple on the anus of the world. He is expert as a
plagiarizer, liar, provoker, and simply being a manner boor. He hides
behind pseudonyms, taunts his betters and steadfastly is too cowardly
to tell us who he really is. If you simply said a piece of shit, that's

identification enough, and pretty accurate.
10. Velvet Underground
Travis Bickle
2006-12-05 18:28:14 UTC
Post by enterprise
RAK is a mere self-proclaimed "honorary Jap", and in reality an ugly
Pakistani bastard adopted by a poor Chinese couple,
I would dismiss this as another RAK hating post, but he freely admits
he's never heard of the Beatles so your theory about him being from
bum-fuck Pakistan isn't completely out of the question.
enterprise
2006-12-05 22:05:37 UTC
Whatever gave you the notion that there is such a thing as "RAK hating
post"? I merely said the things that he himself went to the trouble of
showing - namely, his blog. Look at the picture he put of himself on
the blog and make your own assessments. Of course he knows who the
Beatles were, but he doesn't think it "cool" to admit that he knows
anything that is not "modern", thus he continuously pushes for these
teen-age gay bands, using them as his model roles.
Travis Bickle
2006-12-05 22:24:25 UTC
Post by enterprise
Whatever gave you the notion that there is such a thing as "RAK hating
post"? I merely said the things that he himself went to the trouble of
showing - namely, his blog. Look at the picture he put of himself on
the blog and make your own assessments. Of course he knows who the
Beatles were, but he doesn't think it "cool" to admit that he knows
anything that is not "modern", thus he continuously pushes for these
teen-age gay bands, using them as his model roles.
It's not much of a blog when you put the fuzziest photo you could find
yourself and points to a random car and tells you that's his ride.

Actually, I don't doubt that lot of kids don't know who the Beatles
are, and most of em' are sheltered Asian kids who grew up in a room,
memorizing SAT words and playing role playing games. Looking at his
picture, he looks like he might fall into that category.

I'm 25, and I hate most of the crap that's out these days, and I prefer
to listen to classic rock b/c if you play the guitar or any other
instruments, you know it's pure genius behind the songs from the 60's
and 70's, thanks to heroin and LSD.
drydem
2006-12-04 13:32:56 UTC
Post by George
Post by RichAsianKid
Well, in Korea, they are emulating those gay American teeny-bopper boy
bands!!
See example
http://youtu.be/vs-y35QvPNw
Yeah. Freedom. It's a bitch, ain't it?
George
Would you characterized this as a crossfertilization (a network
of multiple cultural identities that dynamically interact) or
a trend/movement towards the globalization of human culture
( an amalgamation/joining of multiple human culture into
one universal cultural identity)?
George
2006-12-04 16:08:40 UTC
Post by drydem
Post by George
Post by RichAsianKid
Well, in Korea, they are emulating those gay American teeny-bopper boy
bands!!
See example
http://youtu.be/vs-y35QvPNw
Yeah. Freedom. It's a bitch, ain't it?
George
Would you characterized this as a crossfertilization (a network
of multiple cultural identities that dynamically interact) or
a trend/movement towards the globalization of human culture
( an amalgamation/joining of multiple human culture into
one universal cultural identity)?
I don't know, dude. I think people read more into this stuff than was ever
intended. If the music is good, I listen to it. If it sucks, I don't.
It's that simple.

George
Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
2006-12-04 05:54:26 UTC
you are really losing it, aren't you, asian?
white males just love asian females, but then, not being white you
wouldn't know that, would you?
you dream about white females while being buggered by niggers, asian?
http://youtu.be/z2cy_7TAxNg
drydem
2006-12-04 13:53:15 UTC
Post by Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
you are really losing it, aren't you, asian?
white males just love asian females, but then, not being white you
wouldn't know that, would you?
you dream about white females while being buggered by n*ggers, asian?
Ira, what's with you? (9_9)
What's with the anti-african american slurs?
Post by RichAsianKid
[...]
No matter how old you grow
--- the rule to stay on top is the same.

To stay on top,
you need to be on top( to be a master) of your game.
Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
drydem
2006-12-05 12:13:02 UTC
you like being b*ggered by n*ggers, drydem?
asian obviously does - on top or not on top.
Only in your dreams, Ira.
You're one sick puppy.
Post by drydem
Post by Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
you are really losing it, aren't you, asian?
white males just love asian females, but then, not being white you
wouldn't know that, would you?
you dream about white females while being b*ggered by n*ggers, asian?
Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
2006-12-05 14:40:55 UTC
I don't get buggered by niggers in my dreams, but you get buggered in
real life, don't you?
sick ? takes one to know one !
drydem
2006-12-06 01:07:32 UTC
I don't get b*ggered by n*ggers in my dreams, but you get b*ggered in
real life, don't you? sick ? takes one to know one !
Ira, your postings are a reflection of your heart and mind,
you may not vividly remember your dreams or your nightmare
but its clear you have a whole host of insecurities and fears.
Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
drydem
2006-12-06 13:08:29 UTC
Post by Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
hey, your postings may be reflections of your heart and mind. mine
aren't.
You cannot deny your own reflection
no more than you can
run away from your own shadow while facing the light of day
Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
drydem
beernuts
2006-12-06 03:09:07 UTC
you said "Only in your dreams, Ira. You're one sick puppy". prove it !see other posting.
"Don't feed the trolls..."
RichAsianKid
2006-12-01 23:31:38 UTC
Exact opposite pairings are portrayed in mainland China though. Proof:

This ad is for UNDERWEAR in third world mainland China!!

Of course, implying they sleep together. So what do you get in return?
Eurasian Children!!

And look at this pop love ballad from Taiwan:

beernuts
2006-12-02 04:20:55 UTC
Post by RichAsianKid
This ad is for UNDERWEAR in third world mainland China!!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2cnwjft.jpg
She looks like she could be part Indian or Central Asian, to me.
Post by RichAsianKid
Of course, implying they sleep together. So what do you get in return?
Eurasian Children!!
http://i14.tinypic.com/471b7mo.jpg
http://youtu.be/MjjaTI7awf4
Opposites attracts; it's no secret. That some would make this into a
racial and political issue, generalizing over the majority of
interracial relationships (either here or, in China) as the result of
mail order brides or negative am media coverage (or in China, perhaps
negative wm media coverage) is racist, nasty and bigoted.
p***@yahoo.com

m***@hotmail.com
2006-12-10 02:57:37 UTC
Media also likes to pair up wesley snipes and denzel washington with
hot blondes.
And horney japanese businessmen with blonde hookers.
p***@yahoo.com
2006-12-14 01:31:33 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Media also likes to pair up wesley snipes and denzel washington with
hot blondes.
I don't think I've ever made any mention about black male/white
female pairings in my original post. However, I will say that alot of
these depictions aren't defined or overtly portrayed in the media. In
many cases an assumption would have to be made about the relationship
of the characters. Regardless, BM/WF portrayals are not exclusive to
all black interracial relationships in the media as there are many
portrayals of BF/WM relationships. Unlike portrayals of most Asian
relationships in the media, the majority of relationships
of black characters are between black males and black females. Overall
the depictions of black interracial relationships are nowhere close to
the imbalanced in the portrayals of Asian female/Asian male
relationships in the media.
Post by m***@hotmail.com
And horney japanese businessmen with blonde hookers.
I don't see this too often. In fact the last time I saw this was in
"Rising Sun." Other than that movie, I can't recall another instance of
it. These aren't positive portrayals anyway.
m***@hotmail.com
2006-12-19 18:50:23 UTC
media portrayal reflects reality, peter. i know maybe 100 wm/af
pairings, but almost none am/wf or am/bf pairings. that's because AMs
are such losers, cannot keep a wf happy.
r***@yahoo.com
2006-12-19 19:12:45 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
media portrayal reflects reality, peter. i know maybe 100 wm/af
pairings, but almost none am/wf or am/bf pairings. that's because AMs
are such losers, cannot keep a wf happy.
I have 3 pairs of am/wf in my family.
r***@yahoo.com
2006-12-19 19:20:01 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Post by m***@hotmail.com
media portrayal reflects reality, peter. i know maybe 100 wm/af
pairings, but almost none am/wf or am/bf pairings. that's because AMs
are such losers, cannot keep a wf happy.
I have 3 pairs of am/wf in my family.
Oh!! yes!! 2 pairs of cousins of am/wf families (my father's twin
brother's sons). 2 pairs of af/wm families (my sister, and cousin,
yep, my father's twin brother's daughter).
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Sperry
2006-12-20 00:33:15 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
media portrayal reflects reality, peter. i know maybe 100 wm/af
pairings, but almost none am/wf or am/bf pairings. that's because AMs
are such losers, cannot keep a wf happy.
Sounds like you're jealous of the Asian man.

Sperry
p***@yahoo.com
2006-12-22 00:20:17 UTC
I think you have this the other way around asshole. You're probably
the biggest loser in here for stating this shit. Why don't you wake up
and smell the crap that you've been spewing out because all the
least come up with something insightful or even remotely factual
instead of stating rediculous phrases like "the media depicts reality."
Is this the reality where everybody looks like they work out 24/7 and
nobody seems to be overweight even though a majority of Americans are?
Is this reality where everybody seems to be flawlessly good looking?
Perhaps this is the reality where most of the people in America are
either black or white and there's at least one white or black token
person in almost every single social situation? Maybe this is the
reality where Asian women are the same height as their peers and
Americanized to extremes yet all the Asian guys are shorter than
everybody else around them and exist only as FOB types who work in
restaurants. Maybe this is the same reality where there doesn't seem to
be any Asian doctors, lawyers, professors, athletes or any Asian person
remotely outside the realm of an Asian stereotype. If this is your
reality, then you need to get your head checked because either you're
fucking delusional or just downright stupid.

In any extent, Am/wf relationships represent 1 out of every 3 Asian
American interracial relationship in this country yet the media chooses
not to depict this reality. The majority of all Asian relationships in
this country are between Asian males and Asian females yet the media
chooses to ignore this reality. These are facts unlike your rediculous
statements asshole.

p***@yahoo.com